I was talking to Tammy the other day, and I told her about some accidents that have happened at Cameron's work and she said that I should post about them. Here goes:
Accident #1:
If any of you read my comment on Greg's post about the John Deere equipment, I mentioned a haul truck. From the descriptions Cameron has given me, these trucks are huge. I believe he said about 30-40 ft. high. I do know that they are so big that just the parts are sent to the mine and they are assembled there. Any way, a man was driving one of these haul trucks and some how went over the edge of a cliff. They said he might have made it because the cab was fairly intact, but he decided to jump from the truck as it was falling. This happened about two months ago.
Accident #2:
The second accident was when a man was trying to direct a crane. They had to remove a portion of the walkway so that the crane could make it through. It was only a fall of about 10-15 ft., but the man was not wearing his fall protection gear and fell directly on his head. This one was pretty scary for us, because the guy was doing something Cameron had done before! He doesn't do that task often, but it still kind of hit home to us how dangerous his work could be.
Accident #3:
Cameron was walking around the mine one day when he saw a fire! Yep, he was the first one to see it and to report it. This one was more scary because when they officially reported it, they made it seem to have been not as big as it was, like they were trying to cover it up.
A good record for a mine is to have one death in five years, so Cameron's work could get in big trouble if they have another death anytime soon. Hopefully they will focus a lot more on safety than they have been!
Wednesday, November 09, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Yikes! Have you heard from the SLC job? Is Cameron still interested in that? Lately, the news has made it sound like it is not too safe to be a teacher either, but luckily I don't work in so scary an environment.
April- check your email! Man am I glad I don't have to worry about falling off cliffs or getting or getting running over by giant trucks. At least it probably keeps Cameron on his toes at work.
those sound pretty scary. So what exactly does cameron do? Is he always in the mines? Any desk work?
Wow that is scary. Do you ever worry or is he mostly doing things that he can't get into trouble with?
Cameron is mostly out of the way of the danger, but I still worry because working in a mine is always dangerous. From what I can gather, Cameron mostly does projects to help increase the effeciency of the plant. So sometimes he is walking around the mine, sometimes in the lab, and sometimes at his desk doing calculations. He never actually goes underground though.
Post a Comment