I don't know if every one else thinks about this at all, but today is mom's birthday. I thought it might be nice to reminisce because she was a pretty special lady.
I'm so thankful for the many things she taught me. I would be clueless about the everyday tasks of life like cooking, laundry, etc. if it were not for her. Although, don't ask me to wash anything wool, because I will inevitably shrink it! I remember having to do chores every week and having to cook once a week. I used to hate it, but at least now I know how to do those things. She would always help me with anything new I wanted to learn about baking, sewing, or just general knowledge. She was always learning new things, and helping us to learn new things to. I think all of us can appreciate the things she taught us about music.
I'm also grateful for the strength of testimony she had. You could really feel that she had a personal relationship with the Savior. It is one of the things that has helped me build my own testimony. She was great about doing the everyday things like praying, reading the scriptures, and family home evening. I still remember using the flannel storyboard to teach us lessons for family home evening. What a great way to hold a child's attention. Even while she was sick, you could still see her faith and testimony shining through.
Mom was just a great mom. Her example has taught us all how to have great family's. Just look at all the great children you guys have raised. It's hard to express in words all the things I want to say, but I think you guys understand. So, happy birthday mom, until we meet again.
Thursday, January 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
April, I knew you would remember! If you weren't working, I would have called you this morning. I have been thinking about her all day too. I too am grateful for the wonderful mother that we had, and I feel grateful that I was a little older when she died, because I had started to develop more of a friendship with her as well. Her legacy will last forever. I long to hear her voice and be wrapped up in one of her many hugs. I wish I could ask her questions about the crazy things my kids do, and get a little encouragement for the things I do right. She really was a great lady. I feel so blessed to have had her as long as we did. Thanks for the nice post. It is nice to know you are thinking of her too.
I think we all think about her frequently. We were very lucky to have her, even if I wish we could have had her longer...
I wrote a check today and realized it was your mom's birthday, too. I feel extra blessed because I knew her so long. You saw the testimony she had, but I got to see it grow and develop. It is nice to know that you don't have to be spiritual from the beginning but can grow and progress and get better and better. She was a great example to me. I especially loved it when you guys lived so close to us. I learned a lot from her during our exercise walks and our singing times. She did produce some pretty great kids!
I feel pretty lucky to be the only addition to the family to have had the opportunity to meet your mom. I was even so blessed as to be able to sing with her! What a great memory for me. Todd and I talk about her often and have so many times when our hearts ache to have her here and to be able to have her share in our lives. It's hard to imagine how much more enriched our lives would be to have her around as a Grandma for our children and to ask her questions and spend time with her. Especially since we have spent the last 4 years of our lives living in the same state that she grew up in - we so wish taht she could be here to celebrate our love of New England and show us the places of her childhood. We miss her very much! Happy Birthday!
As a side note, I have found it very interesting that Todd's and my parents share birthdays within a week of each other. Both our Mom's share January birthdays (20th & 27th) and Dads share March birthdays (16th and 22nd). We have incredible parents!
I'm finally having time to catch up on everyone's posts and make comments. I wish I had been able to meet your mom. Your post and all these comments made me cry when I first read it. I am so glad I am able to be a part of this family.
Yes, and we love your Mom dealy. LOve, Grandpa and Grandma Peterson
Grandma Peterson said:
Dear Tammy, Todd, Shane and April;
I saw a beautiful boquet of daffodils this morning while Visiting Teaching, and I thought of Darleen; we visit her grave at the cemetary several times a year, and whenever we do I shed a few tears as I talk to her and tell her how very much I miss her. I loved her dearly; she was such a fine example to me of everything that was good!
She died while we were in Florida on our mission; I knew how very sick she was, but I KNEW that she would recover; I knew that the Lord blesses the family members of the missionaries, and I knew that He would heal Darleen; then we got the news that she had passed away, it felt like the bottom had fallen out of my life; I loved her like she was my own, and I KNEW that Heavenly Father answers the prayers of the missionaries.
Anyway after returning from the funeral held in San Antonio, I had a thought come into my mind, the thought was: that Heavenly Father had heard my prayers for Darleen, but His answer was no. Strange at it may seem that thought brought me great comfort.
I remember on one occasion when we were visiting them in Virginia she had earned some extra money doing something; sorry I can't remember what, but anyway Eric told her that she was free to use the money in whatever way she liked; she opened the kitchen cupboard doors and showed me a set of lovely dishes; as she said, "Look Mom, they all match." I could not hold back the tears, she was such a saint in making do, or doing without, and to see her great joy over such a seemingly little thing as a set of new dishes that matched, made me love her even more.
Each one of you wonderful children are very lucky to have been taught at your Mothers knee, and I know without a shadow of a doubt that she is aware of the things that are taking place in each of your lives, and I'm sure her heart is bursting with joy.
Grandpa and I love each of you so very much, and we continually pray for the blessings of Heaven to be showered down upon you.
Sorry, we aren't really bloggers, that's why we are so late in responding to April's letter.
Grandma Peterson.
Post a Comment